Four Week Course
Tues, Oct.20 to Nov. 17, 2020
10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
NO CLASS 11/3
Taught in English
( 50% discount for Members with code )
Zoom.us (sign-in instructions will be sent upon registration
Texture and Color is a drawing course that explores how to create the illusion of form, texture, and space using a limited to full palette in Pastels and other media.
This workshop develops the skills of drawing from direct observation including form and texture using color from the still-life. Emphasis is on developing a sense of structure and visual texture using value and color. Both traditional and innovative approaches are explored, with the intent of an in depth analysis of the common perception of an image and learning to “see.” It introduces students to concepts, tools, and techniques of representational drawing. Principles of composition, balance, rhythm, line, texture, value, and color are introduced through progressive studio assignments using charcoal and pastel.
• Students will learn how to create the illusion of form, texture, and space on the picture plane
• Students will learn how to break down complex objects using simple shapes and forms
• Students will develop fluency with drawing processes utilizing value and color.
• Students will learn to use gesture to build drawings with energy and accuracy.
• Students will become familiar with charcoal pencil and soft pastels.
• Students will organize the compositional relationship of objects within the picture plane.
Drawings will be evaluated by the teacher, students may use our dedicated WhatsApp Chat, or email images of their work, and may be shown during class time.
About the Instructor
Kristen Thiele is a painter and lives and works in Miami, FL. Thiele received her BFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 1995 and her MFA from Miami International University in 2012. Thiele has taught drawing at Savannah College of Art and Design and is currently teaching drawing at Miami Dade College.
You will need the following materials for this workshop:
• Drawing board with clips to accommodate 18 x 24 drawing pads
• 18 x 24 Strathmore Toned Gray Drawing Pad, or, 2-4 individual sheets
• Artist’s tape or low tack tape, like blue or purple painter’s tape
• Vine Charcoal
• Charcoal pencils 2B, 4B, 6B
• Set of 12 or more, color soft pastels
• Eraser like Factis Black Eraser or similar
• Mechanical Eraser for detailed erasures
• Stumps/Tortillons, to use with charcoal and pastel for super smooth blending
If you have some experience drawing, please do bring examples to show.