Wed. May 12- June 2, 2021
10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. ET
Taught in English and Spanish
(Members have a 20% discount with code)
Oolite Arts storefront
928 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Painting is an act of liberation. Learn and apply the fundamentals and basic techniques to connect with painting and express yourself.
This course is ideal for beginners and intermediate student-artists who want to improve their painting skills and learn a step-by-step process. The class will cover color combination, form, texture, composition, and the use of brushes and other painting tools. Students will use a limited palette to learn how to mix a variety of colors.
Through individual instruction, demonstrations, and exercises, beginners will learn how to combine colors, find form, texture, and composition; advanced students will expand visual vocabulary and technical skills. Students will also be able to decipher how a painting is produced and by which technique. At the end of the four classes, each student will complete three pieces.
Beginners will focus on understanding and mixing colors, color combination, proper use of brushes, and composition. Students will paint a landscape, a still life, and a portrait using painting reproductions as a visual reference to compare color mixing, precise strokes with the right amount of paint in the brush, and convey exact movement with spontaneity and decisiveness.
Advanced students will work on expanding visual vocabulary and technical skills to improve their work. Each student will be encouraged to express their style and explore painting techniques through various conventional and unconventional methods of composition. Individual instruction, demonstrations, and exercises will assist each artist in developing a unique body of work.
Students will be evaluated during each class while they are painting through individual instruction and demonstrations according to how they are doing the exercises. Every time they finish a painting, there is an evaluation and final critique to raise awareness of all learned techniques and approaches, proper execution, and areas to improve and modify to improve each painting.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Pablo Contrisciani earned his Masters in Fine Arts, Painting at Facultad de Bellas Artes, National University of La Plata, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He has participated in several solo and group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally. His work forms part of public and corporate collections from USA, Latin America and Europe. Pablo is an Oolite Arts alumnus (1998-2006 and 2010-2015) and works as a painting instructor since 1998.
If you wish to work with Acrylics:
- Acrylic paints 4 oz or 8 oz: Ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow light, black, orange cadmium, crimson red, dioxizine violet, phthalo blue.
3 palette knives (metal or plastic) large, medium, and small.
- A set of Four sizes Bristle brushes. Two of each (Total 8): 1/8 flat inches square bristle brush (x small), 1/2 inch flat square bristle brush (small), 3/4 Inches square flat bristle brush (medium), 1-inch flat bristle brush (large)
- 16” x 19” acrylic disposable paper palette
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener
- 3 Stretched canvases (18” x 24” or larger)
- 2 8oz Empty cans for water
- Rags or 1 paper towel roll
If you wish to work with Oils:
- Oil Paint colors: Can be purchased in 35 ml or 40 ml sizes. Ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, orange cadmium, crimson red, dioxizine violet, cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow light, phthalo blue, and black.
- Set of White, Flat, Bristle Brushes: That includes: 1/8” flat bristle brush, 1/2” flat bristle brush, 3/4” flat bristle brush, and 1” flat bristle brush.
- 3 palette knives (metal or plastic) large, medium and small.
- Multi-palette/ disposable paper palette 18” x 24” pad.
- 3 stretched canvases (18” x 24” or larger).
- Odorless turpentine or mineral spirits 1 quart. Linseed oil, 8 oz.
- Rags or 1 roll of paper towels
- Empty cans 1 big and 1 small-metal or glass
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener