This is an ideal course for beginner and intermediate students who want to improve their painting skills and learn a step-by-step process to represent landscape paintings with a palette knife. This online course is suitable for new students or a continuation for those who took previous painting classes.
This four-week course will cover preliminary drawing, color combination, paint application, light, tones, values, form, texture, composition, and the use of palette knives.
Students will use two landscape reproductions as a visual reference: a marina landscape by Leonard Miramir and an urban landscape by Michael Flohr.
The class meets online once a week for four consecutive weeks.
Class 1 and 3
- Presentation of landscape images in art history. (First Class)
- Drawing using an image as a visual reference.
- Color Theory and Practice and palette setup.
- Explanation and demonstration of how to use palette knives
- Start painting the background.
Class 2 and 4
- Completion of the painting.
- Color application and comparison.
- Paint application and palette knife strokes.
- Light and shadows.
- Sense of depth in a landscape painting.
- Alla Prima painting technique.
- Texture and other effects.
- Sense of unity and balance of the composition and final details.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Pablo Contrisciani born in Argentina, lives in Miami since 1998. He earned his Masters in Fine Arts, Painting at Facultad de Bellas Artes, National University of La Plata, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He has participated in several solo and group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally. His work forms part of public and corporate collections in the USA, Latin America and Europe. Pablo is an Oolite Arts alumnus (1998-2006 and 2010-2015) and works as a painting and drawing instructor since 1998.
You will need the following materials:
- Acrylic paints: ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow light, black, orange cadmium, crimson red, dioxizine violet, phthalo blue.
- 3 palette knives (metal or plastic) medium, small and large
- One set of four sizes Bristle brushes: 1/8” flat bristle brush, 1/2” flat bristle brush, 3/4” flat bristle brush, 1” flat bristle brush.
- 16” x 19” acrylic disposable paper palette
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener
- 2 Stretched canvas or canvas board 18” x 24″ or larger
- 2 8oz Empty cans for water
- Rags or paper towels