6 -Week Course
Tues, March 7 – April 11, 2023
6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Taught in English and Spanish
(Materials not included 20% discount for members)
924 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139
This Painting with Acrylic or Oil is a 6-week course ideal for beginners and intermediate student-artists who want to learn from scratch or improve their painting skills through a step-by-step process. Classes will cover color combination, form, texture, composition, and the use of brushes and other painting tools.
Beginners will focus on understanding and mixing colors, color combination, proper use of brushes, and composition. They will paint a landscape, a still life, and/or a portrait using painting reproductions as a visual reference to compare color mixing, precise strokes with the right amount of paint in the brush, and convey exact movement with spontaneity and decisiveness.
Advanced students will work on expanding visual vocabulary and technical skills to improve their work. Each student will be encouraged to express their style and explore painting techniques through various conventional and unconventional methods of composition. Individual instruction, demonstrations, and exercises will assist each artist in developing a unique body of work.
Students will be evaluated during each class while they are painting with individual instruction and demonstrations based on how they’re performing the exercises. Every time they finish a painting, there is an evaluation and final critique to raise awareness of all learned techniques and approaches, proper execution, and areas to improve and modify to improve each painting.
Materials are not included you’ll receive the materials list upon registration.
We suggest Acrylic paint for beginners.
See below some topics that will be covered:
Class 1: Color theory and practice and Color display.
Class 2: how to draw the subject matter properly to fit in the canvas and paint application, brushstrokes.
Class 3: Different Brushes
Class 4: Colors, mediums, and the difference between oil and acrylic paint.
Class 5: How to make different skin colors?
Class 6: When is a painting finished?
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Pablo Contrisciani earned his Masters in Fine Arts, Painting at Facultad de Bellas Artes, National University of La Plata, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He has participated in several solo and group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally. His work forms part of public and corporate collections from USA, Latin America and Europe. Pablo is an Oolite Arts alumnus (1998-2006 and 2010-2015) and works as a painting instructor since 1998.
If you wish to work with Acrylics:
- Acrylic paints 4 oz or 8 oz: Ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, cadmium red light, cadmium yellow light, black, orange cadmium, alizarin crimson red, dioxizine violet, phthalo blue.
- 3 palette knives (metal or plastic) large, medium, and small.
- A set of four sizes Bristle brushes. Two of each (Total 8): 1/8 flat inches square bristle brush (x small), 1/2 inch flat square bristle brush (small), 3/4 Inches square flat bristle brush (medium), 1-inch flat bristle brush (large)
- Disposable paper palette for acrylics ( 12″ x 16″)
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener
- 3 Stretched canvas(18” x 24” or larger)
- (2) 8oz Empty cans for water
- Rags or 1 paper towel roll
If you wish to work with Oils:
- Oil Paint colors: Can be purchased in 35 ml or 40 ml sizes. Ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, cadmium red light, cadmium yellow light, black, orange cadmium, alizarin crimson red, dioxizine violet, phthalo blue
- Set of White, Flat, Bristle Brushes: That includes: 1/8” flat bristle brush, 1/2” flat bristle brush, 3/4” flat bristle brush, and 1” flat bristle brush.
- 3 palette knives (metal or plastic) large, medium and small.
- Multi-palette/ disposable paper palette 12” x 16” pad.
- 3 stretched canvases (18” x 24” or larger).
- Odorless turpentine or mineral spirits 1 quart.
Linseed oil, 8 oz.
- Rags or 1 roll of paper towels
- Empty cans 1 big and 1 small-metal or glass
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener