This is an ideal course for beginner and intermediate students who want to improve their painting skills and learn a step-by-step process to make landscape paintings with acrylics. This course is perfect for new students or a continuation for those who took previous classes last year.
Classes will cover preliminary drawing, color combination, paint application, light, tones, values, form, texture, composition, and the use of brushes.
Students will use two landscape reproductions as a visual reference, a Claude Monet’s marina and a Michael Serrano’s countryside landscape.
The class virtually meets once a week for four consecutive weeks. See below the class breakdown.
First and Third class
• Presentation of landscape images in art history.
• Drawing using an image as a visual reference.
• Color Theory and practice and palette setup.
• Start painting the background.
Second and Fourth class
• Completion of the painting.
• Color application and comparison.
• Paint application and brushstrokes.
• Light and shadows.
• Sense of depth in a landscape painting.
• Alla Prima painting.
• Sense of unity and balance of the composition and final details.
About the Instructor
Pablo Contrisciani earned his Masters in Fine Arts, Painting at Facultad de Bellas Artes, National University of La Plata, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He has participated in several solo and group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally. His work forms part of public and corporate collections from USA, Latin America and Europe. Pablo is an Oolite Arts alumnus (1998-2006 and 2010-2015) and works as a painting instructor since 1998.
You will need the following materials for this workshop:
- Acrylic paints: ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow light, black, orange cadmium, crimson red, dioxizine violet, phthalo blue.
- 3 palette knives (metal or plastic) medium, small and large
- One set of four sizes Bristle brushes: 1/8” flat bristle brush, 1/2” flat bristle brush, 3/4” flat bristle brush, 1” flat bristle brush.
- 16” x 19” acrylic disposable paper palette
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener
- 2 Stretched canvas or 18 x 24″ canvas board
- 2 8oz Empty cans for water
- Rags or paper towels