Four Week Course
Thurs, Oct. 28 – Nov. 18, 2021
6:30 – 8:30 p.m. ET
Taught in English and Spanish
(Members have a 20% discount with code)
This is an ideal course for beginner-intermediate students who want to learn or improve their portrait skills. No previous drawing training is required, and it is perfect for new students or a continuation of previous portrait classes. The class meets virtually once a week for four consecutive weeks.
In this course, you will learn how to represent a self-portrait in different positions, following the concepts of symmetry, proportions, measurements, comparison and shading. You’ll learn how to make and combine all the facial features while building the whole portrait. We’ll start by first drawing the structure, adding the elements, and then shading and completing all details in the portrait.
Every class starts with a warm-up sketching practice to capture face gestures. Then you’ll draw a portrait using an image provided by the instructor as a visual reference. In the second hour, each one will draw a self-portrait using a mirror or a picture. The course will cover different positions such as frontal, three quarter and profile poses through analytical drawings.
You will have a constant evaluation during the classes while drawing through individual instruction and demonstrations. The instructor will see how you are doing the proposed exercises, making you aware of all the things learned and what needs to correct and improve your drawing skills.
● Warming up sketching some portraits samples in the selected position
● Fitting the main exercise portrait on the page
● Learn step by step how to draw the portrait in that position
● Starting with the Outline drawing of the portrait
● Drawing the structure of the face
● Location, proportions, symmetry
● Drawing the features of the face
● Shading, realistic details
● Compare the visual reference with the portrait drawing to approach the look
● Final touches. Gesture and expression
About the Instructor
Pablo Contrisciani earned his Masters in Fine Arts, Painting at Facultad de Bellas Artes, National University of La Plata, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He has participated in several solo and group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally. His work forms part of public and corporate collections from USA, Latin America and Europe. Pablo is an Oolite Arts alumnus (1998-2006 and 2010-2015) and works as a painting instructor since 1998.
- Black artist pens or markers: Superfine point, fine point, medium point & amp brush