This is an ideal class for beginner-intermediate students who want to learn a step-by-step process of making a still life painting with acrylics.
This course is perfect for new students or a continuation of previous classes. Students will start with a preliminary drawing, color combination, and paint application. Light, tones, values, form, texture, composition, and the use of brushes and other painting tools are some of the techniques Pablo it’s going to teach.
Students will use two different types of Still Life reproductions as a visual reference from artists Gustave Caillebotte and Henry Matisse.
There is going to be constant evaluation and guidance during the class. The instructor will demonstrate how to paint an area of the painting, and the students will do the practice. This will be the process until the painting is completed. A final critique will review all the things they learned, what they did correctly and what things need modification before the end of the course.
The class virtually meets once a week for four consecutive weeks.
First and Third class
Presentation still life images in art history.
Drawing using an image as a visual reference.
Color Theory and practice and palette setup.
Start painting the background.
Second and Fourth class
Completion of the painting.
Color application and comparison.
Paint application and brushstrokes.
Light and shadows.
Sense of depth in a painting.
Alla Prima painting.
Sense of unity and balance of the composition and final details.
About the Instructor:
Pablo Contrisciani earned his Masters in Fine Arts, Painting at Facultad de Bellas Artes, National University of La Plata, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
He has participated in several solo and group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally. His work forms part of public and corporate collections from USA, Latin America and Europe. Pablo is an Oolite Arts alumnus (1998-2006 and 2010-2015) and works as a painting instructor since 1998.
You will need the following materials for this workshop:
- Acrylic paints 4 oz or 8 oz: Ultramarine blue, emerald green, titanium white, cadmium red light, cadmium yellow light, black, orange cadmium, alizarin crimson red, dioxizine violet, phthalo blue
- 3 palette knives (metal or plastic) medium, small and large
- One set of four sizes Bristle brushes: 1/8” flat bristle brush, 1/2” flat bristle brush, 3/4” flat bristle brush, 1” flat bristle brush.
- 16” x 19” acrylic disposable paper palette
- 2HB pencils, one eraser, one sharpener
- 2 Stretched canvases or canvas board (18” x 24” or larger)
- 2 8oz Empty cans for water
- Rags or paper towels
You can purchase materials from the following online retailers Amazon, BLICK & Michaels.