Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019
Terence Price II: Here After
Co-presented with IlluminArts
IlluminArts and Oolite Arts present Terence Price II: Here After on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 6:30 p.m. in the New World Symphony’s Sun Trust Pavilion. Starting with a pop-up performance at 6 p.m. in front of our Oolite Arts building, 924 Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. A reception will follow at 8 p.m. at Oolite Arts.
Terence Price II: Here After is a unique musical performance inspired by “Dancing in the Absence of Pain,” the first solo show of photographer Terence Price II and our most recent exhibition.
IlluminArts will highlight Price’s profound work through a music program featuring songs by Donny Hathaway, Bill Withers, Uzee Brown, George Gershwin, H. Leslie Adams, and many more. Also, as part of the performance there will be new works by Price projected as a backdrop for the music. The program will include performances by internationally renowned countertenor, John Holiday; baritone Charles Wesley Evans; and the return of highly acclaimed pianist and singer, James Davis, Jr. last seen at the IlluminArts: Dandy Lion Roars performance in 2016.
Price’s exhibition is an intimate portrait of home, family and community that speaks to contemporary black life, and offers glimpses into celebration and joy set against an implicit backdrop of daily life that is often defined by harsh realities. His work juxtaposes allusions to sadness and difficult circumstances — economic hardship, violence, and simply the passing of time — against the intimate and vital pleasures of family and community.
6:00 p.m. Lincoln Road pop-up performance
6:30 p.m. New World Symphony Program:
1. One Voice – Gordon Chambers & Phil Galdston
2. Over my head/Amazing Grace – Traditional Spiritual/John Newton
3. Song without words – Charles Brown
4. The Wider View – H. Leslie Adams
5. To be young gifted and black – Nina Simone
6. The Heart of a Woman – H. Leslie Adams
7. Someday we’ll all be free – Donny Hathaway
8. Fly me to the Moon – Bart Howard
9. I dream a world – Uzee Brown
10. Summertime – George Gershwin
11. Smile – Charlie Chaplin
12. He ain’t heavy he’s my brother – Bob Russell & Bobby Scott
13. Stories – Bill Withers
8:00 p.m. Cocktail Reception at Oolite Arts
Sat, Feb. 9, 2019
6:00 – 8:30 pm
924 Lincoln Road
Miami Beach, FL 33139