Studio Residency Program
Oolite Arts 2023 Studio Residency Program offers studio spaces at our Miami Beach location for exceptional visual artists working in a range of disciplines. In addition to engaging with a community of artists, renowned curators, arts professionals, and institutional partners in Miami, Oolite Arts residents are provided the space from which to develop their practice and are invited to actively participate in Oolite Arts’ programs such as exhibitions, public programming, studio visits and our community outreach initiatives.
- Studio spaces between 175-600 square feet located on Miami Beach
- Free parking (based on availability)
- Use of Oolite facilities including a flex lounge, Printshop, and large format inkjet printer
- Opportunity to engage with local, national and international curators, artists, as well as participate in studio visits, exhibitions, public programs, and community outreach initiatives.
- Access to an expanded network of practitioners from a variety of disciplines and professional development workshops.
- Wi-Fi access
- 24-hour studio access
- At the completion of the program, access to Oolite Arts alumni opportunities
Eligibility and Requirements
Please apply only if you are a practicing artist who:
- Is in need of space and time to develop their practices and are committed to actively engage in Oolite Arts programming.
- Is able to commit to working in their studio 12-15 hours per week.
- Has the ability to commit to participating in exhibitions, public programming, studio visits, and our community outreach initiatives.
- Is seeking to engage in Miami’s artist community and take advantage of Miami’s cultural offerings.
What You Need to Apply
A full application includes:
1. Full contact information
2. A short statement of intent addressing why you want to join Oolite Arts’ Studio Residency Program and what you hope to accomplish over the course of one year (max 500 words)
3. A brief description of your practice/research (max 150 words)
4. CV or resume
5. Up to 10 images, 10 pages of written material or 10 video links of recent work
6. Three references (Please provide the name, email address, telephone number and address of three references who know you on a professional level and can comment on your recent work and artistic development)
Jan. 9, 2023 – Dec. 15, 2023 with the possibility of extending into a second full-year term.
Applications are closed at this time.
Virtual Office Hours
If you have questions, please read these frequently asked questions before calling our office.
How long is the Studio Residency?
The Studio residency program runs from January until December of each year. At the end of the first term artists may be invited to extend their residency one additional year; the maximum residency length is two years.
Do you accept artists from other states and other countries?
Yes, we accept artists from throughout the United States and all other countries. However, we do not provide housing.
Do you provide visas for international artists?
Oolite Arts does not provide visas nor immigration advice. However, we will provide international artists with an official letter of invitation that may be used to obtain a visa or other necessary documents.
I have applied for a studio at Oolite Arts before, do I need to apply again?
Will having had a studio at Oolite Arts in the past help or hinder my chances of being selected?
I am a current resident artist approaching the end of my term, may I reapply?
You must wait three year after your residency term has ended before you reapply
I work with another artist as a collaborative team or artist collective. Do we need to apply separately?
No, a collaborative team may apply together and show their collaborative practice. If you wish to be considered as an individual artist separate from your collaborative, then individual work should be submitted.
What if I am accepted, but I cannot move in right away?
The program will run from January 9, 2023 to December 13, 2023. Once accepted, all applicants will be expected to move in on January 9, 2023.
When will I be notified of acceptance/rejection?
After all applications are received they will be reviewed by a selection committee. We expect to notify applicants by mid-November 2022.
Questions regarding the Application and Work Samples:
I don’t have an account with Submittable.com. Can I still apply for a Studio Residency?
You will need an account with submittable.com. It is free, so please create one if you intend to apply.
I am having trouble with Submittable.com. Where can I get help?
Submittable.com has an extensive Help Section. Access it here: http://help.submittable.com
Can I drop off my application at Oolite Arts in person?
No. If you have no access to the Internet, then you should call our office at 305-674-8278.
I have read through the FAQs and the application and I still have some questions before applying. May I call the office to see if I can have my questions answered?
Yes, of course. We are happy to answer any other questions that you may have. You can reach Amanda Bradley, Programming Senior Manager at 305-674-8278 ext. 303.
I am having issues uploading files. What should I do?
Submittable.com has a great webpage that can walk you through file upload process: http://help.submittable.com/knowledgebase/articles/931875-i-m-having-trouble-attaching-uploading-file-s-o
My work is more suitably presented in video or audio format; can I upload a video or audio file instead?
While you can’t upload the files themselves, you can provide us with a link to a site where we can view or listen to your video or audio files (e.g.: YouTube, SoundCloud, Vimeo, etc).
Can I bring my work to the office or gallery for review?